eRez Imaging Server 4.1.7 – Release Notes
eRez 4.0.7 Changes
Server 4.0 – New Features top 25
Easy of use
- Fixed a problem with hanging Java threads when shutting
down the server on Linux machines.
- Fixed some eRez user interface templates to enable viewing
the eRez user interface from an IFRAME.
- Increased the maximum length of IPTC fields
"Title", "Author" and "Author's Position" to
64 characters as set forth in the standard. These fields are also referred
to as iptc_objectname (5), iptc_byline (80) and iptc_bylinetitle (85) in
the eRez templates and documentation.
- Improved handling of corrupted TIFF files to avoid
multiple error messages.
- Updated FSI Viewer to version 4.1.7.
- Implemented support for specifying the font used in he top
menus from language definition files.
- Made the CMS synchronization introduced with eRez 4.1.5
enabled per default. You can still disable it in order to improve performance
by adding the line <cms synchronize="0" /> to the
…/erez4/WEB-INF/config/system.xml file and restarting the eRez server.
Apparently most JVMs are affected by this problem, so we recommend leaving
the CMS synchronization enabled.
- Fixed a problem rendering 16-bit TIFF files with IBM PC
byte order at full resolution.
- Fixed special character issue in file names when viewing
an FSI Showcase w. filenames.
- Fixed a problem scaling 16-bit TIFF files.
- Added support for JPEG Compressed CMYK (YCCK) TIFF images
created by Adobe Photoshop CS3. Previous version of eRez will render these
images with very strange colors.
- Fixed a problem where the PDF splitter failed to render
pages or placed links in wrong positions because of an invalid bleed box.
- Fixed a problem with Cumulus Vault files having commas in
- Fixed French language definition problem breaking certain
- Added German Language Web Interface.
- TIFF files created by the built-in PDF Splitter are now
indexed and searchable immediately after creation.
- Fixed a problem searching from within FSI Pages published
from a folder with special characters (such as Asian) in the path name.
- Fixed problem with license check on machine with more than
one IP address.
displayed after uploading new files.
- Implemented a workaround for a problem found with several
implementations of the Java Virtual Machines from Sun, IBM, Apple and
possibly others. Apparently some of the low level Color Management
functions are not fully reentrant and may cause the JVM to crash on some
(but not all) multi CPU systems. Synchronizing access to the not
re-entrant methods can be done by adding the following line to the …/erez4/WEB-INF/config/system.xml
file and restarting the eRez server:
When starting eRez you will see
the message “Synchronizing CMS operations” logged as “info”.
Unfortunately this extra
synchronization may limit the performance on systems with more than 2 CPUs. So
our recommendation is to not enable this workaround unless your server is
affected by this problem.
Things that might indicate that
your server is affected by this problem are:
like java.awt.color.CMMException: General CMM error.
- Fixed a cosmetic problem with the Synkron.web integration
- Fixed a problem with wrong font sizes on the
"Download Selection" page.
- Added CAD support for x86 Linux.
- eRez now correctly reads uncompressed TIFF images with no
compression information tag.
- Rendering of PDF files with many pages using GhostScript
is now much faster.
- Fixed problem where some PDFs was not cropped correctly
with Quartz on MacOS X.
- Added support for adding borders to images. The size can
be specified for each of the 4 sides as well as the color of the border.
- Added support for limiting the padding of images to either
horizontal or vertical (fillmode option).
- Added support for controlling the anchor point for
- Fixed problem where the build-in MacOS X PDF converter
would generate white borders because of rounding errors.
- Fixed license problem with multiple eRez servers running
on the same machine.
- Fixed some unreadable text in the generic installation
- Added support for rendering and cropping certain rotated
- Fixed a few issues with non-English language versions.
- Increased the default disk cache size to 500 Mb.
- Added new templates for simple CMS integration. Please
contact YaWah for details.
- Implemented a workaround for a problem with the IBM J9 VM
(build 2.3, J2RE 1.5.0) which could lead to faulty image output under
- Bundled FSI Viewer version 4.1.5.
- Added French language web interface and online help.
- Fixed a problem preventing the user from viewing pages
other than the first when emailing a collection with many images.
- Default language is now correctly used when browser does
not request one of the defined languages.
- Improved performance for reading and writing stored
collections and fixed some compatibility problems with future versions.
- Fixed a few Velocity template warnings when publishing a
collection as FSI Pages, Showcase or 3D Viewer.
- The Update package no longer overwrites the formats.xml
configuration file. Instead the new required template "Prez" is
added on-the-fly when the templates are read.
- Finalized the automatic PDF splitter for automatic
preparation of PDF document for FSI Pages. Basically the PDF splitter can
automatically create folders for each PDF file with a TIFF file for each
page. Text and hyperlinks are automatically extracted and the pages are
cropped to the “crop box” in order to remove crop-marks etc. This is a
fine supplement to the FSI Pages Converter for simple PDF documents that
doesn’t need all the advanced features of FSI Pages Converter.
- Localization support. eRez 4.1 ships with a new default
set of templates, where all text strings has been replaced by references
to strings of text loaded from external language files. eRez will
automatically detect the visitor’s language preferences and suggest to use
a language accordingly. eRez 4.1 will ship with a Danish version as well
as English – but a handful more languages are already being prepared and
will follow soon. These include German, Japanese and Chinese.
- Fixed a problem where a corrupt TIFF file could cause the
indexing process abort and keep writing error messages to the log
- Updated the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) included with
the Windows Installer to version 6.
- It is now possible to control the HTTP headers returned by
eRez so that data can be cached by external proxy servers such as Content
Distribution Networks (CDNs)
- Fixed a problem with the native Windows binaries which
sometimes prevented them from running under Java 6 due to a a missing DLL
- Fixed a problem which prevented the eRez 2.0 style
download interface to be used to download original files without any
- Changed the predefined CMYK download templates to use the
ICC profile "Europe ISO Coated FOGRA27" instead of "Generic
- eRez now display the version number of the loaded
- Updated documentation for IIS-Tomcat integration.
- Now checks for license used on network
- The size of the requested image are now available for SVG
- The Windows Installer now comes with a step-by-step guide
for installing and configuring eRez in a Windows environment.
- Support for Synkron VIA CMS
- eRez now uses new YaWah.com developed CADVieW Converter on
- eRez now uses native Quartz engine on Mac OS X for
converting PDF, EPS and Illustrator files.
- The Windows Installer now includes 64-bit versions of the
Windows binaries. These can optionally be installed in order to assign
more than 1.25 GB of RAM to the Tomcat/eRez server under 64-bit versions
- eRez now uses the included generic grayscale ICC profile
for images without an ICC profile.
- Filename pre- and post-fixes can now be added during to
the file names during batch download of image selections.
- A brightness function for fixing underexposed images
on-the-fly has been added to the image parameters.
- Added log4j info to installation documentation.
- Fixed a problem where the parent folder was not properly
displayed when deleting a file or folder and the parent folder contained
- Updated JK2 connector settings for Tomcat bundled with Mac
and Windows Installers.
- Illegal characters such as line breaks are now stripped
when displaying Adobe Photoshop “Copyright Info URL”.
- Updated Java Advanced Imaging libraries to latest version
- Photoshop Clipping Paths with empty names are now ignored
- Multiple ICC profiles and IPTC datasets in TIFF files are
- Fixed a problem displaying statistics in the Management
Console when entering and leaving daylight saving time.
- Fixed Content-Disposition header so that JPEG images can
now be displayed directly in Mozilla browsers.
- Fixed a scaling problem where thin lines around the edges
of real-time images were not always preserved correctly.
- Added missing template 'imageexpress/3/info.xml'
- Implemented support for renaming files when downloding the
originals rather than processed copies (filename parameter as described in
the HTTP Command Reference).
- Removed support for old ImageExpress limited license mode.
- Fixed a compatibility problem with some IBM Websphere
Servers and DWR.
- Improved compatibility for sending emails via some SMTP
servers (MS Exchange servers) without authorization.
- All log outputs are now directed to the eRez log files.
- Fixed a problem resulting in a Velocity warning when
rendering the "info" page.
- Fixed a Velocity warning during startup.
- Added support for new OEM license enforcement methods.
- Added a new "save" parameter to make it possible
to save jpeg and other image files from Internet Explorer and Opera
without the browser changing the format. eRez will detect IE and Opera
- Cleaned up various logging messages and unwanted console
- Fixed a problem which could cause the performance
statistics to collect wrong information about "Max Concurrent
Hits" when HTTP requests caused an error message.
- Added experimental "beta quality" automatic PDF
splitter for automatic preparation of PDF document for FSI Pages. Thrill
seekers may refer to the instructions in
eRez4\src\WEB-INF\plugins\ps\plugin.xml file for details. Please be aware
that this feature is not yet fully tested or documented.
- Added new default preset for FSI Pages called "eRez
Defaults". This setting enables links and searching per default.
- Fixed a problem preventing the old eRez 2.0 style download
interface to work correctly due to a null pointer exception.
- A new "encrypt" option has been added to the
Cumulus integration configuration. When this is enabled all source paths
visible to the client browser are encrypted except for images stored in
- eRez now supports encrypted source paths for accessing
individual images for viewing and download. The use of encryption during
"Publish to Web" can be enabled from a configuration file as
described in the "Advanced Configuration" documentation.
- Fixed a cosmetic problem with the buttons on the
"enter license key" page for eRez and FSI Viewer.
- The admin tool now displays the welcome screen after
editing system settings and entering and FSI license key.
- Fixed a problem rotating clipping paths in TIFF files
while updating IPTC data for an already rotated TIFF file.
- The "Delete Selection" no longer requires an
unused "src" parameter and the searchable index is updated
- ICC Profiles from PSD files are no longer included as a
Photoshop resource when the image is converted to another format. This
could cause Photoshop and other applications to use the wrong ICC profile
and report that the embedded profile is illegal.
- Changed method for rendering SVG overlays to workaround
Batik gradients bug.
- FSI related templates now request the correct encoding
when getting metadata from the eRez server.
- Version 7.2 of the DWG converter tool fixes illegal SVG
- Fixed a problem with missing EXIF information when editing
certain PSD files.
- Implemented DWR AJAX functions for login and logout.
- Rendering large SVG overlays is now up to 60 times faster
than previous versions.
- Fixed wrong welcome-file-list tag order in web.xml.
- Fixed problem where SVG render wound fail when no page
size was specified. Now uses Viewbox parameters if present, otherwise
- Worked around a precision problem with a JAI native
library on MMX enabled Intel processors resulting in slightly darker
- eRez now comes bundled with the following Adobe ICC
profiles: Adobe RGB (1998), Apple RGB, ColorMatch RGB, sRGB IEC61966-2.1,
US Web Coated (SWOP) v2, US Web Uncoated v2, US Sheetfed Coated v2, US
Sheetfed Uncoated v2, Europe ISO Coated FOGRA27, Euroscale Uncoated v2,
Japan Web Coated (Ad), Japan Color 2001 Coated, Japan Color 2001 Uncoated
and Japan Color 2002 Newspaper.
- Fixed a problem preventing the Tomcat server in the Mac OS
distribution from running in the background.
- Added a new SOAP method for storing collections.
- Implemented SOAP support for retrieving collections via
the search method.
- eRez now uses the Adobe sRGB profile for enhanced dynamic
range of sRGB output.
- FSI Viewer 4.0.5 is included. This update fixes a zoom
problem in FSI Pages when pages are cropped in the viewer and adds support
for remembering the most recently viewed page on the user's computer.
- Detect and ignore invalid Photoshop resources.
- Fixed the templates used to display folders and image
selections sent by email.
- Added support for deployment on WebSphere.
- Documented the <upload>
element in the Configuration Guide.
- Fixed a problem where two eRez
servers in a load balanced environment, would try to create previews for
the same file simultaneously.
- Illegal EXIF values for shutter
speed etc. are now filtered and do not prevent eRez from displyaing the
rest of the information.
- Updated old style buttons used
when downloading non-image files to eRez 4 style.
- Publish Image to Web as AJAX
Viewer is now also accessible when the FSI Viewer is disabled.
- Improved caching support by
means of support for "If-Modified-Since" HTTP headers.
- Updated the Cumulus Integration
Templates to use the configured FSI Viewer path.
- Updated the "Powered by
eRez" image displayed by the Cumulus Integration templates.
- Fixed a problem where some
section of the HTML file.
- Compatibility with Servlet 2.3
Specification (Tomcat 4.1) verified.
- Implemented support for TIFF
files written by "libtiff" which do not conform to the TIFF
standard (negative width and height).
- Implemented new "XML
List" command for integration with Synkron Via CMS.
- The "Last-Modified"
HTTP header is now set when fetching source media files directly.
- Updated bundled FSI Viewer to
This is a list of some of the most important new features
and changes in eRez version 4.0.
Parameterized text and graphics can now be rendered on top of
images in real time. This major new feature opens up endless possibilities for
adding price tags and other up-to-date text and graphics to images on-the-fly.
3D Images can be published from individual source images
(requires FSI Viewer 4).
Simple AJAX based HTML Viewer included.
Improved quality and performance when serving images to Flash and
Essential performance metrics are now collected continuously and
can be viewed as graphs from the Management Console.
New Caching options for serving image data using native web
The web interface has been updated with a new fresh look and
supports working with a selections of files. The new interface takes advantage
of the new dynamic imaging features to render text under the icons and dim
A selection of files can be emailed, downloaded, deleted, edited
and published in a single operation.
Meta data can now be entered and automatically applied to images
during uploads. The administrator can mark certain fields as mandatory; provide
predefined values in dropdown menus and more.
The contents of the Download Manager can now be emailed as a
simple link which will fetch a ZIP file directly from the eRez Server.
All emails can now be sent to multiple recipients.
An arbitrary selection of images can now be emailed.
Native Photoshop PSD files can now be used as mater images. Since
PSD files only contain a single resolution, eRez will automatically create the
missing resolutions and store them separately. Until this process has been
completed the image may temporarily show up as a grey box.
Support for SVG, GIF, 24-bit PNG and more TIFF options including
1-bit, CCITT and packbits compression.
New optional (separately priced) plug-in providing support for
AutoCAD DWG, DXF and DWF files.
Alternative filename extensions such as ".tiff" and
An optional plug-in for automatically converting JPEG images to
TIFF format when they are uploaded via FTP or other means is now included.
Both eRez and the Management console now use a highly flexible logging
system with configurable detail levels and much more.
Many smaller improvements to the Management Console including
direct entry of FSI license keys.
Evaluation versions of FSI Viewer, Showcase and Pages 4.0
are included with eRez 4.0.
Greatly improved performance and quality using optimized request
to eRez Imaging Server and more.
3D Images can be published from individual source images.
New look and feel.
Full-text Search functions using eRez’s built-in search engine.
New Print and Save options.
Improved FSI Pages Converter.
New look and feel.